Thursday 19 November 2009

Jamie Oliver's Italian @ Canary Wharf, London

So I'm already bored with the formatting - Not a surprise to anybody who knows me as I can't ever write anything unless I like the font I'm writing in.

Yesterday me and a fellow co-worker headed to Jamie Oliver's Italian @ Canary Wharf which happens to be just outside our work place. Note to all going there: get there early. They don't take bookings and the lunch rush is, to be frank, manic. We got there just before 12 and were seated immediately which meant we were fed & watered just in time for a 1pm meeting.

This restaurant - one of the chain which boasts 7 restaurants around the country - is the only one in the City and is pretty funky decor-wise. Organic market meets grafittied ghetto with a dash of city slick style would describe the feel of the place. Proper dishtowel napkins and food served on wooden boards make it feel like a proper eaterie and the unpretentious waiters & waitresses make it a great dining experience.

Jamie's strapline on his website is: Jamie Oliver's first independent restaurant venture brings what's best about casual dining to the high street and to an extent, I'd agree. The menu is mostly uncomplicated and everything that came out of the kitchen make my stomach rumble.



Food-wise, I went for the CHARGRILLED CHOP STEAK BEEF BURGER - Served with fontina cheese, spicy coppa, soft lettuce, pickles, gherkins and my crispy fried onions in our own fennel crusted bun with mayonnaise which at £10.95 was a steal! I also had some POSH TRUFFLE CHIPS INSANELY GOOD WITH TRUFFLE OIL AND PARMESAN which were amazing and I'd recommend. The truffle oil made them crunchy and utterly delicious.

My colleague had a tried & tested favourite - although she does have a half-Italian boyfriend so she knows her pasta - and ordered
BEAUTIFUL BUCATINI CARBONARA - Crispy fried smoked pancetta with ribbons of courgettes, tossed with eggs, thyme and parmesan cheese. Again this was a very reasonable £7.95 and was more than enough for a lunch time.

It was a great lunch, the food was fantastic and we didn't feel rushed nor that we had to hurry to leave in time for work. The burger was cooked medium like I asked for, they took off the gherkin and pickle (I'm a gherkout, people!) and were happy to accommodate that.

It's somewhere I'd definitely go to again, with friends or family. I think with starters it has the capability to become a little price-y but for a burger or pasta dish with a great atmosphere and more importantly great flavour, you can do a lot worse than visit Jamie Oliver's Italian @ Canary Wharf.

The Vitals

Jamie Oliver's Italian,
Unit 17, 2 Churchill Place, Canary Wharf, London, E14 5RB
Tel: 020 3002 5252
Website: http://www.jamieoliver.com/italian/

Nearest tube: Canary Wharf (DLR / Jubilee)

No comments:

Post a Comment